Thursday, June 19, 2014

Winding Down at Helium

So, you've probably noticed the abundance of posts here lately.  As I mentioned previously, it was because another site I wrote for is closing it's doors.  I started deleting content there and scheduling it for publication here.

That site is Helium (most recently Helium Network).

I joined Helium in December 2007.  It was the first site that ever paid me to write something.  Most of my content there is from 2008 and 2009.  In 2010, I started disagreeing with the direction the site was going and feeling that the writers weren't being heard.  I kept my account active, but didn't contribute much anymore.  Between the recession and the difficulty of managing a content site successfully, it continued to slide.

When I got the email that they were closing down, I wasn't surprised.  What did surprise me, though, was all the emotion I felt when I started deleting content.  I pulled down all my poetry first, since I didn't really want it online anymore and I have it stored elsewhere.  I started remembering and feeling nostalgic.

Although I haven't actively written for Helium for several years now, I think I'm going to miss it.  It's where I first connected with writers and started learning how to write web content.  I keep deleting and posting the content to other relevant sites, but it's definitely a reminder of the first moment where I felt like I was a Writer.

When did you first feel like you were a Real Writer?

No comments: