How to Write For Demand Studios
To apply for freelance writing work at Demand Studios, writers must submit a resume and writing sample. Links to other web content are also acceptable. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and citizens of the United States. The time that it takes for a Demand Studios application to be approved or rejected will vary, depending on how many other applications have been submitted and how many openings are available.
Once you have been accepted to write for DMS, you can apply to write for special sections under the "Account" tab. These special projects typically have higher paying articles than the general eHow titles that new writers are automatically approved to write.
Choosing Demand Studios Titles
New writers can log onto their Demand Studios profile and click the “Find Assignments” link to look for topics to write about. Writers begin with the ability to claim ten titles at a time. If they are not completed within one week, they expire and return to the open list for other writers to claim. Titles are typically posted for either $5 or $15, so take note of the purchase price before claiming a title. If the subject requires extensive research, a $5 payment may not be worth the time.
For the maximum benefit, choose multiple titles on a similar theme. If it is a subject area that the writer is already knowledgeable about, the articles can be submitted quickly. However, if the titles require research then it will save time to research a group of articles on the same topic.
Benefits of Writing Freelance Articles for Demand Studios
- Upfront payments will generate cash faster than websites which pay residuals.
- There is not a required minimum amount of work. Take on extra projects as needed and stop writing if a more lucrative writing gig comes along.
- There are not a maximum number of articles. If a writer has the time and their articles are approved, they can continue to write as much as they want.
- Payments are made to Paypal every Tuesday and Friday. Any titles that are edited by Sunday night at midnight PST are paid on Tuesday, and titles that are approved by Wednesday night are paid on Fridays.
- The most common "How To" format pays at least $15 per article, depending on what site it is written for, and many writers can complete these assignments in 30 minutes.
- Freelance writing for Demand Studios can be fun and engaging. There is a strong community of writers to interact with.
Downsides of Freelancing for Demand Studios
- The title selection is often poor.
- There is a limit to the number of article titles that can be claimed at a time.
- Review times for submitted articles can vary. These articles are reviewed by freelance copy editors, so they are only approved as fast as the editors choose to work.
- Writers no longer have the ability to suggest their own topics.
Writing for Demand Studios may not be the best option for all freelance writers. However, it can provide fast cash flow to people who need a little extra to make ends meet. Once writers learn the style guides for each article type, they are easy to write and research. Demand Studios can fit around other commitments and queries for any writer with spare time.