Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why Writers Write?

Why do we write?

It's difficult to assign one opinion to an entire group of people. There are as many reasons to write as there are writers. Each person brings their unique talents and history to the page when they sit down to work. So I will try to explain why I write. Maybe you share some of these reasons, and maybe you will add your own to the list.

I write because I have something to say, but I'm shy around groups. I stutter when I speak and I get distracted in the middle of telling stories. Despite numerous attempts to improve my public speaking, I just can't get the hang of it! However, on paper I can suddenly say what I was trying to say.

I write because I feel like I have a story to tell. The first time I tried to write fiction, I was in kindergarten. It was just a few sentences about a girl I made up (who was quite a bit like me). Since then, I have continued to pursue fiction with all my heart. I have ideas that need to be expressed. They say that everyone has a story to tell, and I am just trying to put mine down on the page.

I write because I love the power to create worlds and people, and to communicate information to others. Words are powerful. Words allow the reader to immerse themselves in fantasy and entertain their minds. Words can teach and convey information.

I write because I love the challenge. Writing is rarely easy. Sometimes the words seem to get stuck in my mind or I stop finding new ideas. Once I do complete a draft, it needs to be edited and rewritten to make my words shine. Then came the rejection letters. You have to have passion to write professionally because otherwise, the struggles will stop you. However, for me beating those struggles are exhilarating. The first acceptance letter I received was one of my biggest achievements. I had done what many people wish they could. I was a published author.

I write because I love being able to earn a little extra money doing something I have passion for. While money was never why I began to write, and it isn't why I write fiction and poetry, I have been developing my skills as a freelance writer in recent years. From Helium contributions to magazine articles, there are a wealth of opportunities out there for talented writers. I love my day job and have no intention of quitting, but the extra cash helps!

I write because I want my parents to be proud of me. I come from a family that values books and education above most other things. Our house was filled with shelves full of stories. Sometimes I wonder if my passion for writing didn't develop out of a desire to impress them.

I write because I have to. It's no more complicated than that. Writing is something that I have done as long as I can remember, and will hopefully continue to do for the rest of my life.

No comments: